BNSF RAILWAY IN WYOMING
BNSF Foundation Giving
$938,356 (since 2012)
Route miles owned: 960
Route miles trackage rights: 5
Handled within state: 1,894,686
MAJOR FACILITIES IN WYOMING
Casper, Cheyenne, Gillette, Greybull, Guernsey, Sheridan, Donkey Creek
INSPECTING OUR TRACKS AND BRIDGES
BNSF is committed to the safe operation of every single mile of our 32,500-route-mile network. Our track inspections include on-site visual inspections, and we utilize state-of-the-art technology to help identify defects or problem areas undetectable by the human eye.
- More than $1 billion devoted to rail bridge capital investments since 2006
- Our bridge inspectors conducted more than 61,000 bridge inspections in 2016
- 4,000+ trackside detectors deployed across the BNSF Railway network
- 650+ inspectors visually inspect more than 10 million miles of track every year
- 35 million daily readings from trackside detectors determine the urgency of equipment repairs and spot trends that indicate a more planned prescription for maintenance
- Approximately 450,000 miles of tracks annually tested by autonomous geometry cars
MOVING TOWARD A CLEANER ENVIRONMENT
BNSF is proud to be an industry leader in protecting the environment. Our fleet of locomotives is already the newest and cleanest-burning in the industry, and we continue to upgrade with new and more efficient engines.
- A single BNSF intermodal train can move as much as 280 semi-trucks, reducing greenhouse gas emissions by 75%
- From 2015 to 2019, BNSF has cut NOx and particulate matter emissions by more than 11% and 25%, respectively
- In 2019, shipping with BNSF enabled our customers to reduce their total carbon emissions by 32.8 million metric tons
- One BNSF train can move one ton of freight nearly 500 miles on a single gallon of diesel
- In 2019, BNSF recycled 2.5 million railroad ties, 5.5 million gallons of lube oil, and 0.9 million pounds of batteries
In 2021, BNSF expects to invest approximately $2.99 billion in capital across its system. The largest component of the plan will be to replace and maintain BNSF’s core network and related assets to ensure BNSF continues to operate a safe and reliable network. In addition, the plan includes investing in expansion and efficiency projects and acquiring new freight cars, locomotives, and other equipment.